A simple PHP script could be use to redirect visitor from the page they entered to a different web page. There is lot of reason you may want to do this including:
- You may have links that is no longer exists in your domain
- You don't want anybody to browse your parent directory where you don't have any index page in it
- Or maybe you may want to shorten your long url like TinyUrl.
Using this simple method, they can be seamlessly transfered to the new page without having to click a link to continue.
Why use PHP for redirecting?
Here's some reason on why we are using PHP for redirecting.
- Users are redirected quickly and seamlessly
- When using the 'Back' button, the user is taken to the last viewed page, not the redirect page
- Works on all browsers
In this example, assuming Mikey want to redirect his visitor who go to his domain http://mikey.com to his blog Url which is at http://mikey.com/blog. What mikey have to do is simply create a text file in his parent folder and type this:
header( 'Location: http://mikey.com/blog' ) ;
Then save the file as 'index.php'. Now, all visitors who go to http://mikey.com will be seamlessly redirected to http://mikey.com/blog. Isn't it easy? Enjoy programming and have fun!