Enabling Serial Console on /dev/ttyAM1 in TS-7260


I'm running Debian on SD card for this TS-7260. I decided to switch the serial console to the second port which is /dev/ttyAM1 because I'm going to use the first serial /dev/ttyAM0 for my Wavecom GPRS modem. So, I open the /etc/inittab and just realize that serial console on /dev/ttyAM1 is already there.

Then I grab my RS-232 cable and plug it from my /dev/ttyS0 on my PC to the /dev/ttyAM1 on the TS-ARM board... after waiting for some seconds, my minicom shows the login...

Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 ts7000 ttyAM1

ts7000 login:


So, I type root and press the enter... the console returns, "Login incorrect"... WTF!!

How come the serial console on the second port is useless for root? The solution for this is actually very simple. But it took me some minutes to figure it out... hehehe...

Thank god, i've already fixed the ssh, so i can ssh to the board...

$ ssh root@10.1.1.91
$ Password:


The solution is, edit the /etc/securetty file...

$ vi /etc/securetty

And then add the line ttyAM1 under the ttyAM0 in the /etc/securetty file... press escape and type :wq

That's it. Reboot the board. and now i can login with root on my second serial console. Thanks to the guys in #debian at freenode for pointing me to the right direction.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hallelujah! Thanks for the post. I had the exact same problem. Why would TS distribute a Debian installation where 1) the ssh server isn't setup right and 2) the console doesn't work on ttyAM1?? I'm sure there are other issues as well... This TS board has given me nothing but issues from day 1!

Thanks again.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create Hyperlink on Blogger Post

How to Add a Sudo User on AlmaLinux 9.2 (Turquoise Kodkod): A Step-by-Step Guide

How to Show and Hide Text in Blog Post